Friday, November 4, 2011

Written Words for My Children. Day 4 of NaBloPoMo.

My beautiful children are still so young, but may one day read this blog, or be embarrassed by it….but, aside from “penning” in cyberworld, I have been JOURNALING the old-fashioned way (pen and paper) for my two children since 2008.
I invested in some matching, fancy schmancy leather bound journals. As I chose them, I worried about the possibility of a third child…should I buy a third now even if he or she wasn’t born yet? What to do?! My level-headed husband told me that I could contact the journal company when the time came and not to stress. So, two journals and about $60.00 later I was set to start writing to my son and daughter. I’ve journaled very infrequently, but continue to fill their pages when time, inspiration and life permits. They’ve seen me with them and of course ask, I merely say it’s a journal and they accept that. They have many journals of their own (composition notebooks) dreams and invention journal for my 6-year old son and an art journal for my 3-year old. I envision handing the journals to my children when they graduate from high school, or college. Or, when they get married or have their first child…. My husband is invited to write to them too, and again when time and inspiration permits, he will. Every entry is dated, including the day and time. I end every entry with “Love, Mama.” I fill it with milestones in their lives or big events about life or the world in general, funny things they say or quirky behaviors that may be fleeting. I recall a point in my son’s life when certain words he said sounded BRITISH. We would laugh, but those moments were so short-lived and I can’t even remember the words he used to say… (I’ll have to check with my husband).
“Ideas can come from anywhere and at any time. The problem with making mental notes is that the ink fades very rapidly.”-Rolf Smith
Pictures, video of my lovelies in their childhood are wonderful, but documentation with my words, in my script and with my take on their life will hopefully be something they appreciate.
ESTA LATER!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story of a Stolen Mermaid--(and the Infringement of an Artist)

Fact: I wrote Sirena: A Mermaid Legend from Guam in 2010. Fact: My brother, Sonny Chargualaf is the talented artist behind the imagery. ...