Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I Miss Ugly Betty…Day 9 of NaBloPoMo.

...and Tracy, Grace, Muriel, Benny and Bridget, too!

America! America! That is America Ferrera. I first saw her on Real Women Have Curves and I’ve been a fan since. I have a soft spot, or two for the curvy actress who represents reality.




The show, Ugly Betty went off air after 4 seasons in 2010, and it was one I watched earnestly. I remember seeing one the actors at LAX on our way home from Guam. I approached him just to say he was appreciated. Alan Dale played Bradford Meade, and was also in the dramatic series, Lost.



Betty Suarez was different and unique, not only because of her size, which was absolutely lovely! But, for her drive and the way she negotiated life between her mother culture and American society. Now, some of the storylines were far-fetched, and Vanessa Williams played a good villain who could shatter under the right conditions, but it was a nice show, my escape from reality. My favorite push and pull was the romance between Betty and Henry, as well as the temptation of bad boy, Gio.




Oh, Ricky, you're so fine.

In my teens, I adored Ricki Lake in the movies, Hairspray and Baby Cakes, which made me cheer out loud for girls with curves. Baby Cakes in particular, made me realize that love was for everyone and one could fall in love with more than just exteriors.











My Girl Muriel, the Dancing Queen!

Muriel’s Wedding with Toni Collette was perfect as the hilarious clumsy Australian heroine in this voluptuous chick does good flick. Toni, before her rise to mainstream movies and thinness.


Here's Rachel Griffiths with Muriel!




Chris O'Donnell loves Minnie Driver in Circle of Friends. This is a great goddess love story based on Maeve Binchy's novel. My favorite quote, "You mustn't mess me about. I know I may look like a rhinoceros, but I've got quite a thin skin really."


Lastly, but not leastly, a great chick flick favorite is Bridget Jones's Diary, again based on a novel by Helen Fielding (which I loved). I heard through the grapevine that another installment may be in the works.
Daniel: "Come on Bridget, we belong together - you, me, poor little skirt. If I can't make it with you then I can't make it with anyone."
Bridget: "That's not a good enough offer for me."


Oh, Colin Firth (Mark Darcy)!







I hope for another light and quirky show or movie soon. In the meantime, I’m going deep and dark and disturbed with the likes of American Horror Story, Homeland and The Walking Dead.

ESTA LATER!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Story of a Stolen Mermaid--(and the Infringement of an Artist)

Fact: I wrote Sirena: A Mermaid Legend from Guam in 2010. Fact: My brother, Sonny Chargualaf is the talented artist behind the imagery. ...